Powered by Blogger.

MY labor story!

by - July 05, 2013

On June 26th 2013.... I was feeling contractions every 10 minutes. Since I am a first time mom I did not know what to expect when going into labor. I was already 6 days past my due date and desperate to have my precious baby here on earth with me. I arrived at Northwestern Memorial Hospital that day at about 11pm. I walked into the triage registration and waited until my name was called. The nurse then came in told me to get into the hospital gown so that I can be checked. The first thing they did was a pelvic exam to see if my water or amniotic sac had broken (which it had not). Then they checked to see how open my cervix was. Surprisingly it was 1 cm 60 percent effaced. I was happy thinking wow today may be the day I have looked forward to for 10 months!  Well the nurse came back and said we want you to walk around for 2 hours! I looked at my husband and said lets go home!! I don't know how they expect me to walk for two hours in pain its ridiculous. So we went home and I dealt with more frequent intense contractions until 8 am on June 27th. My body felt exhausted and something signaled me to go in again because the contractions were 3 minutes apart. Again I went through the whole procedure another time except this time I was 3 centimeters. At that instant they said they were going to admit me to labor and delivery because I was indeed in labor! They put IVs in my arm and monitored the baby's heartbeat. I was in triage waiting for a room for about 4 hours. Finally transport came and took me to the 8th floor! The view of my room was fantastic! I had a corner birthing suit so I could see the lake and the city. I was checked again at 1 pm to find out I had progressed  to 5 centimeters! I was stunned my heart was racing because finally I was going to meet this little person who had already changed my life tremendously! My mother in law and mom were there along with my husband and a good friend of mine. They were all playing the guessing game of when the baby would be born. As time passed by everyone was getting pretty tired. I was checked again at 5 pm and had gone up to 6 cm. I felt frustrated because although I did get the epidural it wore off on one side and I couldn't drink fluids. Everyone was shocked but still waited at my side. By 8 my doctor came in and checked me I was still the same but she broke my water! It gave me some hope that I would progress and have her that same night! I was wrong! With a big scare of my baby's heart beat dipping a whole team of doctors/nurses came in the room like if I was in danger. That was a false alarm but for the rest of the night I couldn't focus on being calm I was worried sick to my stomach. Well June 27th passed and I was still waiting for the arrival of my daughter. It was 3 am the next time I was checked and was 8 cm. The nurse kept telling me that I would have to feel "pressure" and that's how I would know its time to push. I laughed because helllllllo an epidural numbs you how was I going to feel pressure?? Anyway everyone at this point had camped out on the hospital floor because it was obvious I wasn't going to have her right then and there. 6 am rolled around my doctor checked me and says oh wow your at 9cm but I still feel cervix all around. So that was good and BAD news. Guess what was next?? An emergency C-Section! Yes after 19 hours of labor I ended up in C-section. As they told me I needed to get a C-section I got so many mixed emotions and was scared! I was also tired. They took me to the surgery room and handed my husband scrubs and a hat and everything he needed to be there by my side. I remember looking up at him as he walked through the door and I saw the nerves and the scared look on his face. He was so quiet all he did was give me his hand and squeezed me almost like he was reassuring me I was going to be ok as long as he was by my side. That made me feel safe. After that I felt the urge to vomit and began vomiting! My poor husband sat there holding a small bucket as I vomited all over his hands he didn't mind at all he laughed it off. I'm so lucky to have a man like him in my life. well after that I just heard them say Happy Birthday to my precious little girl and once I heard her cry I began to cry. They called my husband over as they cleaned her up and I followed him with my eyes. He was so nervous. They put her in his arms for the first time and he says that's the most nervous feeling ever because he never held a baby that new. Well it was time to transport me to my room they finally placed the baby in my arms and I immediately fell in love. The love I feel for my baby is unexplainable. Only mothers can understand. I am so excited to raise this baby and watch her grow up.

You May Also Like